Saturday, December 08, 2007

Toni Morrison - Sula

Its haunting. The poetry of it (even though one doesnt get all of it, just as it should be for good poetry). The bit about the sadness that lurks behind laughter, just behind the eye-lids, behind the frayed collars, behind the curve of the spine.

There are so many such things. And I liked Sula. I have been in love with her for so long. And she went away. For she didn't want to take Jude away from Nell. But she took him away all the same.

And the technique of what I call 'reversing', that is, stating the opposite of what the character is feeling, of the feelings being reversed with time.

I dont know whether the keenness of liking fades with age. But I wonder, how would I rate it. Not better than '100 yrs'. 100 yrs is too big in canvass. As good as The Unbelievable Lightness of Being ? May be. It must be allowed to rest for sometime.

It has some draw-backs too. The deaths get a bit monotonous after sometime. A book should also have laughter, joy, love, the follies of life.

No comments: